Thursday, July 5, 2012

Babies are moving!

I went this morning and had my glucose tolerance test done at the lab.  This test is done to see if I am developing gestational diabetes.  Apparently the urine sample that I provided on Monday before the ultrasound showed that I had some glucose in my urine- perhaps I shouldn't have had all that licorice the night before and that big bowl of Fruit Loops for breakfast that morning??  :)  I would have had to have this test within the next week or two regardless of my urine sample, but it just made it that much more important to get it done.

Anyway, because of my weight and the fact that I am carrying triplets, I am at an increased risk for developing gestational diabetes.  Not a huge deal, although if I am, it will require changes on my part.  After talking with Dr. Gilbert on Monday, treatment could require dietary changes, oral pills, or possibly insulin shots.  It would also include poking my finger with a needle four times a day to check my blood sugar levels.  Perhaps this seems like a big deal to some, but in the grand scheme of things, I am up for the challenge.  I'm refusing to get worked up about it or worry too much-  anything that I can do to grow healthy babies doesn't seem like a hardship to me!

I don't want to downplay the seriousness of the situation, but I'm also not going to make a mountain out of a molehill unless I need to.  I take care of diabetics all the time at work, so it will provide me with the opportunity to have a little more empathy for their plight.  And if the medical professionals tell me I need to do something for the babies, I plan to follow their instructions to a "t" and limit my complaining!

The test itself was pretty easy.  I had to fast for 8-10 hours and then went to the lab.  My dear friend Janelle came with to keep me company.  They drew blood right away, and then I had to swallow a big glass of this super sweet liquid (not too disgusting, but definitely not what I would want to have stocked in my fridge!).  Then comes the waiting part.  They drew my blood again one hour later and then once again an hour after that.  All in all, three blood draws.  The lab technician was great and commented on my nice veins (thanks- I've worked really hard on them...).

Janelle kept me occupied with stories about her experiences as a NICU nurse (NICU= neonatal intensive care unit) and I regaled her with stories about my overweight incontinent patients.  All in all, we had a pleasant time and laughed a lot.  I really appreciate Janelle's insight into working with preemie babies as that's inevitably what our munchkins will be.  She's very patient with all of my dumb questions, and her sharing of her knowledge & expertise serves to keep me calmer about what we might be facing down the road.  Plus I've asked her to start compiling a list for me of do's and don'ts for parents who have babies in the NICU.  When it comes time for our little peanuts to be in the NICU, I don't want to be the annoying momma who upsets the nurses (I've heard the saying before that doctors and nurses make the worst patients and I don't want to be the one that makes it true!).

We should be finding out my test results within the next week, so I'll keep you posted.

On a much more fun note, I have been feeling the babies moving around A BUNCH over the last few days!  On the days that I work, I don't feel as much yet (probably because all of my moving around helps put them to sleep).  But on my days off, they are starting to really make their presence known.  I still can't tell who's doing what down there, but I can tell you which side of my tummy the action's on.  It makes me giggle whenever I feel their movements because it is just so stinking cute.

I can't wait for their movements to be strong enough for Jason to feel.  I kind of feel a little selfish that I'm getting all the baby action right now!  He's so excited to get to feel them, but in the meantime, Jason  spends a lot of time rubbing my belly and talking to the peanuts.  Mostly about how they better be behaving, how they're going to have to get a job, etc.  It just cracks me up!  And nothing sounds sweeter than hearing Jason refer to them as "his boys" or "his sons".  I am so excited for when we have the babes at home with us and I get to observe my amazing husband interacting with his boys- he's going to be such a good daddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment