Saturday, July 21, 2012

Going camping!

We're taking the peanuts on their first ever camping trip!  We're meeting a bunch of our friends (Jason's known them for decades) for a weekend of coastal camping.  Granted, the munchkins won't be able to really experience the joy of it, other than potentially feeling like their mama is more at peace for a few days.  I grew up camping with my family and spent many summers at a wilderness camp in Northern Minnesota during my college years.  I LOVE CAMPING!!

And I think Jason is coming around to it too.  He did some camping growing up, but I'm not sure it was to the extent that I did.  And I can vouch for the fact that he is not the one in our relationship to suggest a camping outing.  But he is always supportive of whenever I want to take him camping!  When we first started dating, he warned me that he wasn't really that much of an outdoorsman.  But if you could see Jason around a campsite and watch him cooking over an open flame, you might just have to disagree with him.  I have to give him some major credit in this regard- he is a better camp cook than I am!

Jason got all of our camping gear down from the garage last night and dutifully did all the grocery shopping for the trip while I was at work yesterday.  I just finished loading up the car with our gear (minus the coolers of food- those are too heavy for me right now!) while he's sleeping in.  Can you tell I'm excited?!?  The babies have been moving around like crazy the last 24 hours.  I think they are feeding off of my excitement!

I have to admit that this was the first camping trip where Jason expressed some real hesitation in going.  He's a little worried that we'll be three hours away from our doctor and didn't know if that would be okay.  It is very sweet to see how protective of the munchkins and me that Jason can be.  I reassured him that it would be okay.  :)

Over the last few Christmases, Jason's been steadily replacing some of my "single-person camping gear" with "family camping gear".  This was never more evident than last Christmas when he got us a 6-person tent to replace my little 2-3-person hiking tent.  I was chuckling this morning as I loaded it into the car because I'm thinking back to last winter when I set up the new tent in our living room to see just how big it is.

You could literally fit a small army in it.

I had sent a text message that day to Jason asking him just how big he was planning on our family getting (this was before we had started trying to get pregnant).  So now we can establish blame for whose fault it is that we're having triplets- obviously Jason's.  If he hadn't gotten us such a big tent, we might only have one little munchkin right now.  And just think how much we would be missing out on if I'd made him exchange that tent...  :)

So bon voyage to us and our big tent.

Here's a picture that I took of the tent set up in our living room last winter.
It's ridiculous how large it is.  I mean- it's literally got separate rooms in it.
Someday Jason and I'll sleep on one side and the boys will sleep on the other!





No comments:

Post a Comment