Monday, December 3, 2012

Delivery Day!! (part 1 of ??)

Our delivery day was amazing from start to finish...  We were scheduled for our Cesarean section at noon, which meant that we needed to be checking in at the hospital by 10 AM.  I would have preferred an earlier time (we were told that the earlier your time in the morning, the more likely you were to get a private room!), but that was the earliest that we could get.

It was totally surreal, to be getting ready that morning knowing that this morning was going to totally change my life- never again was it going to be just Brittany, or just Brittany and Jason.  Soon it would forever be "Brittany and Jason plus...".  It was so strange to think that the day that we'd been waiting for and planning on for months was FINALLY here!

Both Jason and I had gotten our bags packed prior to that morning, so it was more about last minute things that needed to be done around the house- filling the dog bowls, making sure there were guest towels in the bathroom, shaving my legs, etc.  Apparently everyone who knew that I'd shaved my legs that morning thought the idea of it was hilarious- apparently if I did anything that required any physicality at all, people were shocked.  To be sure, I had to sit on the shower chair that we'd set up the previous night in our bathtub (the first and only time I used it!).

I'd actually had my bag packed for months, just waiting for that moment (that never actually came) when I'd be admitted to the hospital before our planned delivery day.  I figured I'd be at a doctor's appointment, my blood pressure would be high, and they'd admit me for monitoring- but that never happened.  The social worker with the Mothers of Multiple program had encouraged me at one point to consider keeping my bag in the car- but I could never bring myself to actually move my bag from its resting spot in the guest room into the car.  The logical side of me knew that if I was admitted early, the last thing I'd be worried about at that moment would be if I had my bag with me or not (someone would be able to bring it to me within a few hours anyway, so it's not like I couldn't last without my shower sandals for that time!).

I knew that she was just giving me great advice, but I literally could not follow it and here's why- I was too superstitious.  I just felt that if I put the bag in the car, it meant two things.  First, it would be my way of subconsciously admitting that I was okay with going into the hospital early.  Second, it might jinx me and cause the universe to conspire to get me into the hospital early.  Neither of those things were something that I wanted, so hence my bag stayed firmly planted in the guest room until delivery day.

Jason had to make a last minute run to the eye doctor's office a few minutes away to pick up his brand new reading glasses that were finally ready.  As he'd told me the previous evening, he wanted them at the hospital so that he could see his boys clearly when they arrived (Seriously?!?  I don't know if it's possible to love that man anymore than I already do... and then he goes and says adorable things like this).

While he was picking up his glasses, I thought I'd try to walk the dogs so we'd be able to leave that much faster for the hospital upon his return.  BAD idea.  I hadn't been able to really walk the dogs on my own in months, so I don't know what possessed me to think that I'd be able to that day.  Luckily enough I got the dogs to the end of the driveway and then they couldn't really decide which way to go- left or right.  At some point, I just got frustrated with them and threw the leash on the ground, at which point they just looked at each other and made a beeline back up the driveway and sat by the car door (apparently they thought they would get to go to the hospital to get our babies too!).  My conscience cleared in regards to the dogs' welfare, I took them inside and waited.

Jason soon came home and Jen arrived as well.  Jen was going to be "our #2" in the delivery room- she'd already been given instructions on what kinds of pictures we wanted to have taken in there (and which we didn't!).  She arrived smiling with snacks for us for later.  I hadn't had any food or water since 10pm the previous night, but I was doing alright.  I tried to get my friend Brandi, an operating room nurse, to tell me over the phone that morning that it would be safe for me to have a small glass of orange juice, but she decided to be obstinate... hence no intake since the previous night (I may have swallowed a little bit of toothpaste water out of desperation...).

I'm not going to lie: dealing with Jason was a teensy bit frustrating that morning.  My sweet pumpkin is definitely not a morning person and has the tendency to be a little on the slower side in the AM hours when he's at home- NOT what I needed that morning.  But what I figured out later, in reflecting on his behavior from that morning, was that he appeared to be silently freaking out inside and doing a good job of hiding it by just being his normal self.  :)

So we piled into my car and headed off to Sutter Memorial.  I'm so proud to say that I got to WALK into the hospital ON our delivery day WITHOUT having ever been previously admitted as a patient...  I'd so wanted to be able to say this!

No comments:

Post a Comment