Wednesday, June 13, 2012

So I've finally broken down and started maternity clothes shopping. It was inevitable that I was going to have to at some point, but I didn't realize that the moment would come so soon. I started being unable to suck my tummy in around week 10, and here I am on the precipice of week 16 (tomorrow!). I definitely have a nice little bump started, and it's only going to get bigger from here!

One of the things that I vowed I would not do is buy a maternity swimsuit. But after a few quick stops looking for bikinis that would be suitable for the inevitable whale shape that I will be embracing and coming up with nada, I headed on over to the mall's maternity shop. Imagine my surprise to find that I actually kind of liked the tent that they've fashioned out of swimsuit material for me! It's slightly loose right now in the belly area, but I'm sure the munchkins will fill it up quickly.

My mom and sister took me shopping for clothes a few days ago as well. It was fun to hang out with them and get their opinions on things. Laughable moment- at one point Mom made the comment that a particular shirt wasn't very figure-flattering. Um, sorry to disappoint you lady, but at some point figure-flattery is going to go by the wayside and trying not to get arrested for indecent exposure of my massive girth will be of greater importance. :)

All kidding aside, I am kind of enjoying the growth my body is going through. Seeing the tummy bump is like a little constant reminder that the three amigos are growing and developing. And I love rubbing my belly and walking around with my hands on the bump- almost like I'm giving my babies an early hug!

And this may seem weird, but I like to talk to my bump too. I imagine that the babes are learning their mama's voice. It may make things uncomfortable for the strangers around me seeing this lady leaning her head down and whispering to her belly, but I'm sure it won't be the only call to mental health services on my behalf for this pregnancy.

I just watched a video from National Geographic on Multiples in the Womb which I had borrowed from the library. If you get a chance to find a copy to watch, I'd recommend it. It has actual footage of multiple babies in the womb and explains a lot about what is going on in utero with multiples vs. single pregnancies. What was fascinating to me was that scientists have seen that multiples actually 'play games' and interact with each other in the womb. I get this mental image of my three babies playing patty cake with each other as they sit on my bladder, and it just makes me giggle.

What scientists have seen is that multiples will actually physically interact with each other in utero- touching, kicking in the confined space, etc. They've even been known to hold hands! The idea of my three amigos being rough with each other kind of makes me a little sick to my stomach, but I guess I'll just have to start telling them to be nice to each other when I'm whispering to the belly bump. Hopefully they're listening...

No comments:

Post a Comment