Sunday, May 20, 2012

What we know for sure...

Let's review what we know for sure!

Because of carrying triplets, our pregnancy is now automatically categorized as a high-risk pregnancy, so  we have been referred to a perinatologist.  Essentially, a perinatologist is a doctor that specializes in high-risk pregnancies.  Dr. Cueto does focus on high-risk deliveries, so we're in good hands there as well (we already have another appointment scheduled with him on June 6th).  The referral was put in on late Friday afternoon, so we should be getting a call from the perinatologist's office early this week.  The expectation is that we will be seen by the perinatologist within the next 2 weeks.  We were forewarned (!) that the appointment would be a pretty intensive one, with much more in-depth questioning and diagnostic work to be completed at that time.  On the positive side, we'll also be getting a more in-depth ultrasound as well, which means ultrasound pictures to share!!

At our appointment with Dr. Cueto, we asked if it was possible to hear any heartbeats.  While we were able to see the babies moving a little and actually SEE heartbeats, I needed to hear them as well.  Jason and I were able to hear one heartbeat for sure, but of course we don't know which of the three munchkins it came from.  My hope is that will be something that we can expand upon at the perinatologist's appointment.  Because apparently now I feel that it is okay to be demanding of God and insist on 3 heartbeats between 120-160 beats per minute!  :)

Another detail that we know for sure is that this automatically puts us in the C-section category as it is absolutely the safest for the babies.  I had previously been wondering how we were going to handle pain control during labor, as I've never had any surgeries and my usual form of pain control prior to pregnancy was to take 2 tylenol and a nap (not sure if "napping" constitutes a good birth plan!).  I had wanted to try to use as little pain medications as possible to protect the baby and deliver naturally, but Jason had been insisting that he wanted me to be as comfortable as possible.

But now because it is a given that we will deliver the babies via C-section, I don't have to worry about the pain control options because there really aren't many options at all!  I know I want to be as alert as possible for the munchkin's arrival, and I want Jason to be in the operating room with me and the little peanuts.  So I guess we've now got our birth plan pretty much figured out- keep both Jason and Brittany as alert as possible and get the babies out as safely as possible.  Check!

The other detail that is essentially a given is that these babies will be coming early.  HOW early is definitely unknown.  Dr. Cueto told us that if we made it to 36 weeks, we "will be popping open champagne and celebrating".  Our original due date was November 30th, which was the 40 week mark and the goal for most pregnancies.  At this point, I'm planning (at least in my head) on September babies.  The average triplet pregnancy lasts about 31-32 weeks (sometime in September).  The goal we've been given so far is to try for 35-36 weeks (sometime in October).  If anyone is saying prayers for us, please start requesting at least a 36 week pregnancy for us  (once again, I guess I am feeling like it is okay to just be specific in telling God what I want!).  The longer we can safely keep the babies in, the better chance they have of being healthy and getting to a safe stage of development and surviving/thriving outside the womb.

At this point, I've kind of exhausted the so-called knowns.  Here's just a short list of the unknowns and "to be decided" that I can think of right now...
-how early these babies are going to arrive
-how Jason and Brittany are going to keep their sanity
-health issues that the babies will arrive with
-how much help we're going to need after the babies are born
-how long I'll be able to work during this pregnancy
-if I'll have to go on bedrest
-whether the babies are actually fraternal or identical
-the babies' genders

I think I may have forgotten to highlight one of the definite knowns earlier and it is this- there is no one else in this world that I would want to be going through this with except Jason.  The last 48 hours have obviously thrown us into a mental/emotional/spiritual/physical tailspin, and I am so proud of how well he is handling everything.  That man has been my rock and my support for almost 6 years (May 28th is our 6 year anniversary!) and it provides me with such peace to know that he has not tried to pack a bag (yet!) and run away from this.  Instead, he has already been online researching stroller options for triplets and trying to find out how we'll fit 3 little peanuts in our cars.  He continues to touch my belly and talk to the babies and tell them to behave (they better be listening!).  He continues to hold my hand and wipe my tears and tell me that everything is going to be okay and we'll make it through this together.

I'm not quite sure what I did to deserve this man, but I'm thinking I was either Mother Theresa in a former lifetime or I'm going to have to be Mother Theresa in the next.  Either way, I am blessed with an amazing partner and we're being blessed with three little mini-me's.  I hope they are all just like him...

3 comments:

  1. Wow, my mind is a riot of thoughts!. When we first heard about "triplets" on Friday the 18th, there was a sense of disbelief. (At least on my part.) Mostly because sometimes in our family the humor and teasing can take unusual turns. But it became very obvious very quickly that Britta and Jason were not joking and that there was a great mix of both excitement and absolute confusion on all our parts. One in 10,000 natural births are triplets. Wow!!!

    I have already had my "man-to-man" talk with Jason. I just wanted to convey to him that I could not be prouder of my son-in-law. Also of course, it goes without saying that our daughter Brittany is an amazing, beautiful woman. I / we love them both. They are level headed and already thinking and planning recognizing all of this is a gift and blessing and has multiple facets. We as grandparents are reflecting on all of this with the same riot and mix of emotions. It is clear to me that the good Lord could not pick a better couple to bless in this way. We have always handled everything as an entire family and we will continue to do so. I/we are not so naïve, though, as to think that this will be a smooth journey. We ask for your prayers and your blessings and comments as we make this journey together as a family.

    By the way, our other beautiful and amazing daughter, Adina, and her husband Mark are expecting their second child (translate grandbaby) and literally are due any moment.

    I just spoke with our son, Nate,this morning and he is as excited and concerned as we are.

    I have heard said that "when it rains it pours" but I didn't realize they were talking about grandbabies and not something else.


    I reminded my beautiful bride of a sign that we have hanging in our hallway which states and I quote; "All because two people fell in love". We both remember 39 years ago when we were married but we didn't realize that when we both said "I do! " that all this and much, much more would result.

    Sign me as Babu! (Swahili for grandpa.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My prayers and I'm sure many others will be with you all. And I have always found the power of prayer especially in numbers to be truly mountain moving. I also know that the Lord will only give you what you can handle. If you need anything, I'm here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Britta!
    I am just reading your blog for the first time and had to chuckle at your comment that you hope "they are all just like him" since you ended up with 3 boys! :) Looking forward to reading the rest of your posts. I think God knew exactly what he was doing when he blessed you with triplets- you have always been such an amazing and caring person-- who better to be a mom to future men! And it sounds like Jason is an amazing partner and father; what lucky boys to be born into your family.
    ~Katie (Holets) Devney

    ReplyDelete