Sunday, August 26, 2012

Bittersweet...

We had the best day today...

After working two days straight (Thursday and Friday), I was TIRED.  I spent most of Saturday either sleeping or eating.  We're talking multiple naps throughout the day.  Basically my day looked like this:

Step 1:  Nap for 2-3 hours
Step 2:  Go to the bathroom
Step 3:  Eat a meal/snack
Step 4:  Immediately repeat steps 1-3

Whew!  But apparently I needed all of that rest so that I could fully enjoy today!  

I started out my day with a lovely bubble bath and soak in the tub for 90 minutes.  That may seem excessive to some, but it really helps out with some of my pregnancy umcomfortable-ness.  I've been very blessed in that so far I haven't really had too much in the way of pains or aches.  But over the last week or so, it's definitely been a bigger challenge to find resting positions that are comfortable for me and the munchkins.  

They seem to be enjoying a little migration up into my diaphragm, which makes it more difficult for me to catch my breath and can be quite uncomfortable too.  Whenever I want to complain about this fact, I try to remind myself that it's probably better that they're trying to climb into my lungs versus trying to sneak out of my cervix!  

And it's become more of a challenge to find comfortable positions for sleeping at night.  Granted, I only sleep for 2-3 hours at a time (thanks to the combo of the boys resting on my bladder and hormones, I actually haven't had a full night's sleep since March).  But I am finding it harder at night to get into that "sweet spot" where I can drift off to sleep.  I feel so badly sometimes because I don't want my tossing and turning to keep Jason awake.  I now have a body pillow that's helping a lot, but sometimes even that fails to do the trick.

Hence the bubble baths!  They calm me down, relax my body and hips, and take a lot of the pressure off of my tummy.  Our puppy Hana loves to come in to the bathroom when I take my baths, inspect things to make sure I'm okay, and lay right next to the tub for a watchful nap.  I read books in there (don't tell the Sacramento Public Library System about that!), eat snacks, listen to music, etc.  Jason brought me "breakfast in bath" today, which totally hit the spot.  He takes such good care of me! 

After I got out of the tub and got ready, both Jason and I headed off to the hospital where I work for a baby shower thrown by my coworkers!!!!!  It was so sweet to walk in and see blue streamers and posters on the wall.  We ate absolutely delicious food, and I had so much fun just sitting and chatting with my coworkers.  We opened presents, and I am proud to say that I only cried once (which may be a record for me).  
At the baby shower

Everyone was fascinated by the size of my belly
now that I wasn't hiding it (as if that's even possible)
under some maternity scrubs!

And that's the bittersweet part of all of this.  As I've said time and again, I love my coworkers.  I work with some of the most amazing people ever, and they have been so intensely supportive of me throughout this pregnancy.  They've been positive and encouraging and so loving.  One truly couldn't ask for a better group of people to be associated with.  Amazing nurses-  and amazing people.

Tomorrow's my last day of work before going on maternity leave.  I can't believe I just typed that.  It seems surreal that I'm not going to be walking into the hospital at dawn three days a week and chatting with coworkers about whatever our patients have been up to.  It seems surreal that I'm not going to be laughing with them, cracking jokes and sharing stories about what we've been doing on our days off.  It seems surreal that I'm not going to be squawking at patients to take their meds and starting IVs for awhile.  

I think it's harder because I don't have an exact return date.  I don't even know what to tell people other than emphatically letting them know that I DO plan to return to work after the boys are born.  It's all dependent on when they're delivered and what, if any, medical issues they come out with.  And even though this having to "play things by ear" is not a new thing in regards to this pregnancy, I still struggle with it.  Physically I'm ready to be done with work, but mentally I'm not quite there.  I'll just have to keep reminding myself that this is what is absolutely best for the munchkins...

While I was napping after the shower, Jason was a busy little bee.  He was very excited to show me the "surprise" that he'd been working on when I woke up.  It's official- we can fit all three infant seats AND a stroller for triplets in my car at the same time!!!!

Three car seats safely buckled in to my car!

There's our brand new stroller for triplets just
ready to go to the park for a stroll

Ta-dah!!  Thank you Grandpa Ken, Grandma Lois, and Aunt Lara
for our new triplet stroller- it's definitely going to come in handy
for corralling the peanuts! 

I wish you all could have seen how excited Jason was about getting the stroller and car seats set up.  He was like a little kid on Christmas morning pushing that stroller around the driveway!

No comments:

Post a Comment