Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Last day of work

I had my last day of work yesterday... totally bittersweet.  On the one hand, I am going to miss my coworkers and my job so much.  They were all so sweet yesterday, giving me hugs and being the supportive group that they've been throughout this pregnancy.

But on the other hand, I am tired.  My body is tired.  I love working with patients and being invited into their worlds for the day, but I had a very telling moment yesterday that this was the right choice to go on maternity leave.

I was in a patient's room hanging an IV antibiotic and the family started asking some questions about his upcoming surgery.  Hanging the antibiotic required me to be standing up and at times having my arms lifted up to actually hang the bag of medicine off of the IV pole.  As I was talking, I realized that I was having to stop talking at times to catch my breath.  The combo of standing and talking was apparently too much for me at that point!  It sounds so stupid, but something finally clicked for me, kind of like an "a-ha moment" for me.  How ridiculous is it that sometimes I can't even stand and talk at the same time?!?!

So I've concluded that I'm definitely physically ready to NOT be on my feet for 12 hours a day at the hospital anymore.  And while I'm still grappling with being mentally and emotionally ready for maternity leave, let's take a look at some pictures that were taken on my last day at the hospital...

Sassy!  How sad is it that I don't even fit into my
maternity scrub shirts anymore?  I had to rock a white
t-shirt and a button-down just to cover my girth!

My belly at 26 1/2 weeks...
Ok fine.  I guess I can see why it might not be the best
idea anymore to be on my feet for 12 hours at a time.

So time to retire the scrubs for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment