Monday, September 24, 2012

Baby shower

Just over a week ago, Jason's coworkers threw a baby shower in our honor.  It was so incredibly sweet of them to do so, and it was a fun time had by all (I didn't know before that you could fit almost 200 jelly beans in an 8 oz baby bottle!).  What made me the happiest about that day, however, was seeing how supportive Jason's coworkers are of him.  Since we announced our pregnancy to the world at large, I have personally been surrounded by coworkers that have been nothing short of amazing in supporting me.


But I think (luckily so!) that is perhaps a more natural extension of the caliber of coworkers I am blessed with and the nature of my profession.  Nurses by their very calling are caretakers of others, and my coworkers have continued to exemplify that in their actions (seriously- how blessed am I to get to work with my idea of what dream coworkers should be at the tender age of 32?).  The next statement may be naive or shortsighted of me, but I wouldn't necessarily expect a host of accountants and commercial real estate developers to conduct themselves in the same way.

Jason's coworkers did a little
creative decorating for the shower

So it made my heart smile to watch Jason's coworkers that day and observe the way that they have pulled together to follow our story and take care of Jason.  If I'm remembering correctly, Jason has worked for that company for around 12 years, and they have really grown to be another family for him.    My coworkers have become a sort of newish California family for me, and I'm so grateful that my beautiful husband has the same...

A close up of their version of our "future baby"

Jason and I did some shopping this past weekend for the babies, running to a few stores to pick up some needed things for the nursery.  I have some curtains to hang once they arrive from Minnesota.  My mother, who is quite talented at sewing, has been working on them for the munchkins' room.  It almost wouldn't seem right to call it a nursery without some of her sewing handiwork in there!  After that, Mom will be making bedskirts for all three cribs as well.  I don't think that many new mommas can brag about having their own personal sewing craftswoman on retainer!  After that, I want to switch out the framed picture that I currently have hanging in there (a large poster print of one of my favorite places in the Boundary Waters- although I love the print, I think the room needs something different).

The latest version of the sign hanging
outside of Jason's office- they just keep
adding to it!

I've been slowly going through the nursery and prepping smaller things for the babies' arrival...
-setting out possible "coming home" outfits for the munchkins
-washing/folding blankets and swaddlers
-putting garbage bags in the diaper caddy
-making up the cribs with sheets so they are ready for sleeping babies!
-prepping new bottles for the dishwasher so they are ready when the babes come home
-gathering together the supplies we'll use to give the munchkins their baths

It still continues to fascinate me that preparing for their arrival takes so much work.  Each time I go into the nursery, I just sit in the rocker and look around the room for possible things that I can prepare now versus waiting until later.  Yesterday, I even practiced putting one of the stuffed animals into a swaddler garment- just to make sure that I remembered how to do it correctly!  It was a little bit of a surreal moment for me.  I felt as if I was playing with my dolly like I did when I was a child (pretty accurate assessment actually!), but it made me so excited to think that soon I'll get to do that with my own three sons.

The babes have continued to be very, very active.  You can literally sit across the room from me and see my belly move!  I love watching their little feet and arms trace across my tummy.  They are all getting strong enough that sometimes their movements actually hurt a little.  And when two or more of them decide to do some big body movements at the same time, I almost can't move my own body because it can be that uncomfortable.  But I don't usually mind too much- I keep thinking about how lucky we are to have three babies in my tummy that are big enough and strong enough to do that to me!  Keep marinating in there, my munchkins...

No comments:

Post a Comment