Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Late nights, early mornings

Lots of thoughts on my mind, but no coherent thread running through them.  Perhaps we can attribute that to the major insomnia I've been having the last few nights.  Last night, I woke up around 2:30 am and couldn't get back to sleep until after 5 am...

The clock on my bedside table this morning.
I see this particular sight/time frequently...

Insomnia is a common occurrence in pregnancy, especially in the third trimester, which I'm in now.  Usually I wake up for a bathroom run multiple times a night (we'll probably have to replace the carpet in our bedroom when all is said and done because I feel like I'm wearing down a permanent pathway between my side of the bed and the bathroom!).  Whereas before I could usually fall back to sleep after that first bathroom run of the night, that doesn't appear to be the situation anymore.  

I do a lot of reading.  I've gotten pretty good at the Solitaire and Freecell apps on my phone, and I've also gotten some good thinking in.  I'm getting very familiar with the nighttime sounds in our neighborhood- never knew before that one of my neighbors gets up and goes to work at 4 am.  I'm now used to hearing our sprinklers and our neighbor's sprinklers go on.  I've gotten to do what most pet owners can only dream about- observe their dogs sleeping in different places every night.  There's a whole different world that exists in and around your home between midnight and dawn, and I'm getting to be very intimately knowledgeable about it, which I'm sure will come in handy once the munchkins come home from the hospital after delivery.

And I'm sure Jason appreciates it when I treat this late night/early morning period as a good time for breakfast in bed.  Here's a list of things he's caught me eating between 3-4 AM in our bed (it's the most comfortable place to eat at that time as I can curl up nicely with a bowl perched on my belly)...

-cold cereal (this is my most favorite)
-oatmeal
-yogurt
-bagels and a tub of cream cheese and/or peanut butter
-ice cream
-pasta
-meatballs from Ikea (just meatballs- nothing else with them!)
-chips/pretzels/popcorn
-protein bars
-cold leftover pizza
-hard boiled eggs
-Runts candy
-half a watermelon (I literally took a spoon to half a watermelon- it was way easier than cutting it up into pieces)
-grapes/prunes

I'm sure there's more culinary delights that I've forgotten to mention, but that gives you a pretty good idea.  Jason's back to work today after taking a little "stay-cation".  I miss him already even though he left the house less than an hour ago.  Of course, I'm probably also missing the almost daily omelets and bacon he'd make me for my second breakfast too...

Jason and I had a lovely dinner out with my in-laws, Ken and Lois, last night.  It was fun to sit and laugh together as a group at some of the funny things that come along with having triplets.  They've been very helpful while they've been visiting- Ken's been instrumental in helping Jason get the new storage shed assembled, and as I type this, he's out in the garage installing some newfangled storage contraption to hang from the rafters.  Lois accompanied me to a consignment sale for babies/kids stuff last week and helped me pick up some good things for the munchkins (as well as another stroller!).  It's been wonderful to have the different family members visiting and pitching in this summer to help prepare for the munchkins' arrival.  We're very blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment