Friday, September 28, 2012

"Non-" stress test?

HAPPY 31 WEEKS to everyone!!!!!!

Another busy few days for us!  I went to see my coworkers on Tuesday for a little bit- I miss them so much.  It was great to chat and joke around with them.  I got caught up on events happening on the floor, and even though I halfheartedly offered to hold peoples' pagers for them so they could have a break, no one actually took me up on my offer...  :)

Afterwards, I went on a little trip to the Costco to pick up some things for the house.  It never ceases to amaze me at how oblivious some people can be when there are free samples in their vicinity.  Totally blocking aisles with their carts, refusing to move out of the way when I try to ask them politely, etc.  At one point, I was forced to bring out the "pregnant lady coming through!"

Yep, my maternity swimsuit is pretty
much stretched to the max...

But I have found that most people are at the opposite end of the spectrum.  They offer to help me lift things, open doors, and other helpful things like that.  On Tuesday, there was a very elderly gentleman in the Costco checkout lane that started emptying my cart contents onto the belt because, as he told me, he "didn't want me stretching any more than I had to."  Now forget the fact that given his age and infirmity, I should have probably been helping him with his own cart!  Once they see my tummy, most people go out of their way to be gracious and considerate.  Sometimes I just want to show people that I can open my own door, but I remind myself that they aren't doing this for me- they're doing it for the babes- and that makes it much easier for me to accept their help.

Jason hung the birch trees on the wall-
our nursery's forest theme is really
starting to come together!

On Wednesday, it was all about getting things accomplished at home.  I completed a ton of organizational paperwork in anticipation of our eventual munchkin delivery.  I'm not going to lie- I'm a bit of a nerd at times when it comes to organizing things.  I even typed up a list of my current medications along with space to write when I last took the meds prior to hospitalization (one of my pet peeves when I admit patients myself at the hospital- it's so hard for them to remember this info!).  Janelle was over at the house, and she declared me to be a little bit of an overachiever with that move.  Is it so wrong that I want to make things easier on my nurses?  :)

Closet curtains hung!

A little bit of a sobering note- I finally completed my advanced directive forms Wednesday.  For those of you unfamiliar with this document, it's a form that EVERYONE should take the time to complete (you can find the forms for free online!).  An advanced directive basically lets your doctor, family and friends know your health care preferences that you want, or don't want, at the end of your life.  I've been meaning to do this since my first semester of nursing school and always put it off.  The form itself actually took a very short amount of time to complete, but I feel so much more comfortable heading into a surgical delivery now.  Granted, women have C-sections all the time with few complications.  And most likely the biggest complication I'll have to deal with is a severely stretched out tummy after our munchkins vacate the premises.  But having worked in healthcare (and being a new mommy), it would be so irresponsible of me to go into this surgery without having accounted for any potential drama and complications.

Janelle and I went through our latest shipment
of newborn clothes courtesy of my mom's book
club friends.  They are so sweet!  (both
the clothes and the book club ladies!!)
Absolutely love them-

Janelle and I hung curtains in the nursery, did some more laundry for the babes, stocked the drawers with more newborn clothes... it's becoming a real nursery!!  We also packed my bag for the hospital, and because you can't be too prepared, we even stocked the newly arrived diaper bag with essentials too.  I'm waiting to see what size the peanuts are when they pop out before I throw diapers and outfits in there though...

Hospital bag packed and ready to go...


I found out Wednesday that the doctors want me to start doing twice weekly "non-stress tests".  Dr. Gilbert had originally mentioned that I'd start them doing week 32, but Dr. McElvey decided to have me start them during week 31.  No big deal- bring on the tests!  During a non-stress test, I get hooked up to monitors that can track each babe's heartbeat.  During the 30ish minutes of the test, their heartbeats are monitored to see if they accelerate after fetal movement.  If they do that at least twice for a certain length of time during the test, they pass.

A proper indication of how big my belly is now-
Jason has to tie my shoes for me.  I can't reach
too well!

I was a little nervous going into the test because it was a new experience for me.  It took the nurses a while to be able to get each of the babes on the monitors-- and it actually took three of us to hold down the devices on my belly (and track the babies) because the babies were moving around so much!  All three of the babies passed with flying colors.  In fact, Baby A (the one whose lower weight gain is most concerning to the doctors) was actually the most active and passed the test before his brothers.  He was a little motor boat throughout the entire test!  But the important thing is that all three of them did really well and passed.  I'm so proud of our little munchkins- they're little superstars and they haven't even been born yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment