Friday, October 5, 2012

32!!

32!  32!  32!  32!  32!  32!

We are officially at the 32 week mark!  Making it this far is a HUGE milestone!  Today, according to the doctors, is when we are officially 32 weeks along in this pregnancy.  According to me, it was actually yesterday (it's Leap Year- I think they forgot that extra day!).  No matter who you agree with, we've made it to the 32 week goal.  Making it to 32 weeks means that the boys' lungs are much more developed and will (hopefully) require less invasive help with breathing after they are born.  Thank you for all of your prayers, positive thoughts, and support in helping our family get to this point.

Yesterday was a full day for us.  I went to my scheduled non-stress test in the morning, and true to form, all of the babes did just great.  They all passed with flying colors.  Pheww!  Even though they call it a "non-stress" test because they aren't doing any interventions during the test to stress the babies, that doesn't necessarily mean that it's non-stress for Mama.  I made the nurse recheck my blood pressure  at the end of the test- much better!  Not only did the boys pass according to the 31 week gestational age criteria, they actually would have passed using the 32 week criteria (their heart rates need to go up a little bit more for a little bit longer after movements).  So proud of our little peanuts!

In the afternoon, Jason met me at the doctors' office and we went in for our ultrasound.  Dr. McElvey had given us a two week break from the ultrasounds, so I was pretty nervous (nervousness seems to be a common feeling for me these days) as to what we'd find out.  Nervous for lots of things- is my blood pressure staying low?  Are the babes looking okay on the ultrasound?  Do they still have enough amniotic fluid?  Have they gained enough weight to keep the pregnancy going?...

Whenever I was in the car or walking around yesterday, I listened to Bob Marley's music.  I think it really helped keep me calm, or at least kept me from totally freaking out.  I'm pretty sure that I only sang aloud when I was in the car, but I can't be too sure on that.  Sorry to anyone walking the hallways of Sutter Memorial hospital yesterday if you had to endure a poor rendition of "No Woman, No Cry".

Anyway, back to the ultrasound.  I don't know if I've ever been more proud of our babes!!!  All of them  looked great on the ultrasound!  They each have plenty of amniotic fluid still, their heartbeats are looking good, and they're moving around like is to be expected.  Because Baby A's slower weight gain has been a big concern for the doctors for the past month, they did the measuring to see how much estimated weight he's gained since the last ultrasound two weeks ago.

I am so proud to report that Baby A now weighs an estimated 3 pounds and 8 ounces!!  Our little peanut gained a full 12 ounces in two weeks, which means that his rate of growth actually picked up over the last two weeks in comparison with the previous three weeks.  So many prayers answered with this revelation.  The doctors have been telling us that, given how things have been progressing, the reason why they might have to intervene and deliver the munchkins would be if Baby A's growth slowed down.  I am just so eternally grateful that he's still growing and that we get to continue with this pregnancy.  We literally could not have asked for better news from the doctors yesterday!

One of Jason's big worries has been that I haven't been resting enough (I love this man so much!), and so he asked the doctor if I need to increased my bedrest.  Dr. McElvey was actually very positive with us and told us that whatever we've been doing is working!  I feel like I've been pretty good about resting in bed on my side as much as possible everyday, and so I'm thrilled that she didn't add anything to the regimen.  Plus I'm super excited that she doesn't think that I need to be on bed rest in the hospital- I'd much rather be in my own home, waking up next to my husband, cuddling with my puppies and kitty.  

The other new bit of news that we have is that the doctors will actually be working on scheduling us for a Caesarean section right around 36-37 weeks.  If something causes us to have to deliver before then, well so be it.  But at least now we know we have a potential end date.  Once they call us with the day, we'll let everyone know.  

I do have to report that Jason has been so amazing these last few weeks.  He's actually been amazing throughout the entire pregnancy as well, but I just want to give him some major props.  It is so hard for me to watch him take on more than his fair share of keeping this household running, especially when he does it with such a good, patient attitude.  I thank God everyday for his patience and efforts.  He's worked his butt off to make sure that the house still stands, the lawn's taken care of, and the pets are fed and loved.  

AND he's doing all of this while making sure that I'm being totally taken care of too- he's been so protective and so gentle with me.  He's quick to offer a hand to me when I'm trying to get up from the couch (it's tough when you're carrying about 60 extra pounds, with almost 14-15 pounds of that being total baby).  The other night, the poor man literally had to help me get out of the shower- I made the mistake of sitting down to scrub my feet and couldn't safely get up!  Jason's always making sure I've got more than enough food and drinks within easy reach.  People keep giving me props for carrying these little munchkins, but I truly feel like I've got the easier job right now when compared with my husband.  I don't think either of us anticipated how true our wedding vows would be when we said them three years ago.  I promise that from this day forward, you shall never walk alone.  

2 comments: