Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Random

I can't believe this, but I realized the other day that I forgot one of the songs for my pregnancy soundtrack.  If you are not familiar with the amazingness that is Paul Anka, you are missing out.  "Having My Baby" by Paul Anka is one of my guilty pleasures.  Picture an adolescent-aged Brittany rocking out to Paul Anka on her record player in her room... and knowing all of the lyrics.  Sad, but true.  I listened to two records from my parent's collection when I was growing up- Diana Ross and the Supremes  and Paul Anka (kinda makes you wonder about my parents' musical tastes, doesn't it?).  Anyway, this particular song is totally one of the cheesiest songs ever, but I can't argue with the fact that it now makes Jason and me giggle every time I play it.  Find it on YouTube- I guarantee it'll change your life, maybe not for the better, but it'll change your life...



Another non-stress test yesterday morning, and all of the boys passed!  They were pretty quiet and calm during the test, which is a little unusual for them.  I didn't have the heart to tell my nurse, Linda, that it might have something to do with the fact that I hadn't had my usual Starbucks Venti decaf Caramel Frappachino on the drive to the hospital.  It's the little treat I get for the boys and myself on days when we have medical appointments.  Regardless, we were able to wake the boys up with a couple of pokes and rubs on the belly.  This is a good thing- they definitely respond to stimulus!

They always check my blood pressure during the test, and yesterday it was 118/74.  Superb!  I am constantly worrying about my blood pressure as any elevation of it pretty much guarantees me a trip to the hospital to be monitored.  But so far it appears to be behaving and staying in the normal range.  Of course, worrying about it can also elevate it (sometimes I'm my own worst enemy), so I try to practice taking a lot of deep, calming breaths.  So far, so good.



I've officially gained 65 pounds- yikes.  It seems like such a scary number, but the doctors are not concerned about it at all- it actually makes them happy.  But when I think about how much weight that actually is, it kind of scares me!  It does help me to understand why I get so short of breath so easily.  The belly feels like it gets heavier and heavier every day.  It's now at the point where it is incredibly uncomfortable (even painful) to even roll over in bed, which of course is just ridiculous.  A month and a half ago I was able to work a 12 hour shift at the hospital... and now?  Just rolling over in bed hurts!  The change in my physical situation makes me just laugh when I'm able to step back and just look at it from a purely intellectual standpoint.

Jason was very excited to inform me the other day that he's been putting on sympathy weight for me.  My sweet pumpkin has gained about 4-5 pounds since we got pregnant!  Of course, I have to keep reminding him that the 4-5 pounds of muscle that he's gained from lifting weights at the gym (and frequently helping his preggo wife get up from the couch) doesn't exactly count as "sympathy weight". That man just makes me laugh.  What a goof ball.



Jason's been practicing his parenting skills on the puppies, mainly in the discipline realm.  Hana, our "puppy" of a year and a half, has developed a nasty habit lately of sprinting out the door to explore the neighborhood- not good.  After getting out of the shower the other day, I was confused as to why our bedroom door was closed.  When I opened the door to investigate, Jason told me that he had Hana  sitting by herself in the hallway on a "time out" to think about her behavior.  The poor little pup looked so sad all by her lonesome self, but Jason seemed pretty proud of himself for figuring out a suitable punishment for her misbehavior.  I can only imagine how he's going to handle having to someday help discipline three little boys.

Jason and I actually spend a lot of time these days discussing how we are going to handle the different aspects of parenting, from the smaller issues to the more significant.  How are we going to handle night feedings?  How frequently will they need to be bathed?  What methods of discipline are we going to use someday?  What are the most important values that we want to impart to our children?  All I can say is that these conversations get me so excited to have the little munchkins be here already so that Jason and I can really start to raise these boys to be loving, responsible, respectful little people.  But no matter how excited we are for them to be born, they will be grounded if they try to come out before our scheduled C section!!

No comments:

Post a Comment