Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Pregnancy soundtrack

I had another non-stress test yesterday morning.  The boys all passed again!  They were moving and grooving in there, which made the nurse's job a little more challenging to make sure that each of their heartbeats was being monitored at all times.  It can be quite the ordeal for the nurse doing a non-stress test for triplets.  

During the test, I have to wear what I can only really describe as stretchy leg warmers, but they're for the tummy area to help hold the monitors on the skin.  Four separate monitors then get placed strategically on my belly-- three are to pick up and record the babies' heartbeats and one is to pick up any uterine contractions.  And when the babies start moving around a lot (like they were yesterday!), the nurse has to apply pressure to the monitor (effectively pressing down on my tummy!) to hopefully keep finding the heartbeat.  Additionally, I hold two buttons in my hand during the test, and whenever I feel any baby move, I'm supposed to click the buttons.  My nurse did a great job yesterday finding all of the heartbeats right away.  I think I was in the chair for less than two minutes (compared with almost 30 last week!) before she had each of the babes on the monitor.  I spent the next 20 minutes just "clicking" away.  

I feel like a bad mother at times while I'm hooked up for this test.  The nurse can usually look at the heartbeats and tell when the babies are moving.  And honestly- I don't always feel them.  Sometimes there's just so much going on down there that it almost seems like one baby's movements cancel another's out, leaving me feeling nothing.  And then I start thinking that I'm a bad mommy because I can't even feel my babies moving!!  :(  

But it is fun to have the test done too.  At one point, the nurse had to apply a lot of pressure to Baby C's monitor on my belly because he was moving so much- she made the comment that she could literally feel him rolling from front to back (or back to front- not sure) under the monitor.  All I care about at this point is that each of the boys is passing the test.  Usually one or two will pass very quickly and then I spend the rest of the test trying to cheer on the last baby...


If you know anything about me, you know that I love music- any kind of music.  My parents surrounded us with music when I was growing up.  I've been singing since I was a little girl and even went to college on a music scholarship (for voice).  To this day, I can't help but sing along to the radio in the car, regardless of how silly I must look to other drivers.   I actually met my husband at a jazz music festival- very appropriate!  

So it should come as no shock that I have a "pregnancy soundtrack" that I've been compiling over the last six months in my head.  It'll never be a bestseller on ITunes, but it's a totally random/odd mix of songs that speak to me personally.  I'm not saying that you need to rush out and listen to all of these songs, but they just may change your life...  :)



Heavenly Day by Patty Griffin
This song was actually performed live at our wedding three years ago, but I still love it.  The lyrics talk about how troubles may come, but it's most important to live in the moment and not worry about them until they arrive- something that's a little tough to do at times when you're carrying triplets.  But at least it helps me to remind me to be positive and just enjoy the journey!

One Thousand Years by Christina Perri
I heard this on the radio while waiting at a stoplight on the day we found out that there were three boys in my tummy.  For whatever reason, I actually listened to the words for the first time (I'd previously written it off as "that Twilight song").  The lyrics "how can I love when I'm afraid" and "I have died everyday waiting for you" just hit me- and I bawled like a baby at that stoplight.  Luckily no one was behind me...

Three Little Birds by Bob Marley & The Wailers
Jamaica, where the uncomparable Bob Marley hailed from, has had a special place in my heart ever since my first medical mission trip there.  The album that I most associate with this song, "Legend", has been one of my most favorite for forever.  And how can I argue with Bob telling me not to worry cuz every little thing is gonna be alright, especially when he informs me that there are three little birds telling me the same thing?  :)

You & Me by Dave Matthews Band
I feel so blessed to have the most amazing husband in the world.  I love that we've approached this entire pregnancy as a team effort, supporting each other through each development.  This song just exemplifies that to me.  I love the lyrics...
when the kids are old enough we're gonna teach them to fly
you and me together, we could do anything

Titanium by David Guetta feat. Sia
I've laughed everytime I've head this song since Dr. Veille first told me I have a "titanium cervix".  This is actually my cervix's theme song.  I'm laughing to myself right now having just typed those last two sentences.

Lucky by Jason Mraz & Colbie Caillet
How lucky that I'm in love with my best friend?  How lucky are we to be adding on to our family?  Jason and I have actually performed this song before (in the comfort of our own home) with me on guitar and singing and him playing the bass.  Cute.  Nerdy, but cute.

You Are The Best Thing by Ray LaMontagne
Oh this man's voice has such soul in it.  Before when I used to listen to this song, it made me think of my husband.  And now, it still makes me think of Jason, but it also makes me think of these three little munchkins in my tummy and how they are probably the best thing that has ever happened to us.  How someday I'm going to be so excited to come home after a long day of work and just kiss their little faces.

Songbird by Eva Cassidy
This was the first song that Jason and I danced to as a married couple.  It has a special place in my heart, and I love every word in it.  Every single darn word.  Finding out that we were carrying triplets was such an absolutely surreal moment in my life- it didn't feel right and it didn't feel real.  But as time has passed-- I can't imagine it being any other way.  Having our triplets, while scary, just seems right.

Baby Mine by Bette Midler
I sing this song to the babes all the time.  It's from the Beaches soundtrack.

Gold On The Ceiling by The Black Keys
A totally unorthodox choice, but Jason and I did go to a Black Keys concert the week before our first ultrasound.  Plus you just can't listen to this song without getting happy and wanting to bust out some air guitar.  

Everybody by Ingrid Michaelson
Another song that just makes me happy and puts a smile in my heart.  I hadn't heard it in years until Jason and I had to make a run to the Home Depot for something for the babes' room.

In The Looking Glass by Lorie Line
Lorie Line is an amazing musician/composer/pianist from Minnesota.  I've loved her compositions for decades.  I've been playing this one on the piano just for the babes since the beginning of the pregnancy.  This song also holds the distinction of being the only complex song for the piano that I can play without sheet music...


So now that you rushed out and listened to all of these totally random songs on YouTube, you know why this will never be a bestselling soundtrack.  :)  But random as they are, each of these songs have been meaningful to me throughout this pregnancy...

No comments:

Post a Comment